POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Jan 2001 16:19:28
Message: <chrishuff-C2A809.16204115012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a635d70@news.povray.org>, Ken Cecka
<cec### [at] alumniwashingtonedu> wrote:

> Have you thought much about how you would handle CSG?  I don't know
> anything about Warp's tesselation patch that Chris referred to, but
> CSG can be a show-stopper.  Finding an algorithm to generate meshes
> for arbitrary CSG combinations is difficult.  Usually you end up with
> a tradeoff between speed and accuracy.

Warp's code uses the marching tetrahedrons algorithm and can handle any
arbitrary shape, including CSG. There is a speed/accuracy/memory
tradeoff...and the meshes aren't as optimized as they could if you made
them yourself, but it works, and OpenGL would just be a preview, so you
wouldn't even need very high quality meshes.

> For a static OpenGL display, the algorithm doesn't need to be
> particularly fast since you only calculate the mesh once, and then
> are free to explore your scene with a mobile camera (fun!).

I'm not clear on whether he is working on that kind of interactive
display or simply using OpenGL for extremely fast preview images.

> If you want animation, you need to be able to quickly recalculate CSG
> meshes (consider a scene with a difference of two spheres, where one
> of the spheres slides from left to right during the animation).

Or just compute all the images and play back the results. Or just do
things the way POV does them now, only using OpenGL to do the rendering
instead of the raytracing engine.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><